Thursday, July 09, 2009

DIY Laundry Detergent, Pt. 2

After a few preliminary test loads (some of the kids' clothes, Jack's sheets and blankets, some kitchen towels), it was time to put my homemade laundry detergent to the real test: a load of Jack's cloth diapers. It wasn't the most heinous load of diapers I've ever washed, but any load of cloth diapers is worse than pretty much anything else we wash.

I'm happy to report that it worked as well as the All that we used to use, and it may even have worked better. It certainly smells better - I was a little worried the sandalwood soap would give the finished product too strong a fragrance, but it didn't. There's a pleasant but not too strong sandalwood smell when the clothes come out of the dryer, but it doesn't last.

The finished product, at least this time around, was pretty close in consistency to normal laundry detergent - slightly slimier, with a viscosity similar little-kid snot or pudding with too much milk in it.

I'm definitely going to be doing this again, and for the foreseeable future. It works as well as commercial detergent, it costs a hell of a lot less, and it allows me to feel superior to other people (but only as long as I don't think about the Amish or the Minimites, because then I feel like a failure).

No comments: