Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A $10 Cup of Coffee

I had the privilege last week of tasting Kopi Luwak, a variety of coffee that begins its journey from fruit to beverage in the digestive tract of a rodent. (Alright, they're not technically rodents. But they are small, omnivorous mammals.)

One of my coworkers received a half-pound (upwards of $80) for Christmas, and brought some to work to taste with me - because I'm one of the few people willing to drink coffee that's been in animal poop, I guess.

Anyway, it was surprisingly good - not worth the price, certainly, but very smooth, with some intriguing flavors that did not at all remind me of stomach acid, vomit, or feces. Seriously.

So the next time exotic beverages come up in a conversation you're involved in, at a cocktail party or informal brunch, for instance - you can say that you know personally someone stupid (or crazy, or adventurous, or whatever) enough to have actually ingested a cup of coffee brewed from beans harvested from the droppings of a small Asain mammal. Don't you feel special?

No comments: